Thursday, June 12, 2008

Another Stunningly Obvious Column by "SouthCoast Media Personality" Mike Moran

Every Thursday I'm treated to a reminder as to why Mike Moran is no longer a talk show host.

Many complained after his firing -- citing his easy-going "even-handed" style. But since he joined the Fall River Herald News, I'm beginning to understand more and more just why Mike Moran is no longer on WSAR and am beginning to question how he earned the title "well-known SouthCoast media personality" that sits next to his name every week.

Mike has never broken a story or covered an event or tender moment in a single one of his efforts. Mike never takes a controversial stand. Hell, Mike barely gives his opinion period, and when he does, it's in a very half-hearted "let-me-find-a-way-to-hedge-this" style.

This week is no exception. At least in today's paper there was a story regarding the commuter rail for his column to accompany. But it still seems as if Mike could have written this piece two months ago and is just getting around to printing it.

Three months in is a little early to start phoning it in ... don't you think?

1 comment:

Brand X said...

I've always wondered why people were drawn to him as well.
His radio show was just an exercise in taking up time and airspace, and his column seems to be a waste of ink for the Herald News, which seems to be either paying back a favor, or trying to expound on and generate a larger circulation for itself based on Moran's tight-knit circle of South Coast fans. All 5 of them.
It's as if a grade school student was given a dictionary and a word processor and told that they would have a Thursday column every week, come hell or high water.
I find when I read his columns, seldom, if ever, tend to always be a moment of 'I just wasted seconds of my life that I'll never get back reading something that I already knew' (and usually covered in a very milquetoast and passionless fashion).
I guess some people like eating Vanilla Pudding everyday.
Then again, those usually tend to be people with no teeth and are unable to take a bite of life as well.